Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reflections On the Week of June 8, 2008

The storm clouds gathered and the Upper Iowa River rose. One by one, the focus of the community shifted from ordinary weekend pursuits, to all of the droplets in ever-growing streams. Many grew earnest in prayer. Time stood still. Time rushed past.

My home is on the west side of Decorah in an area where a mandatory evacuation was issued on Monday. I heard the news on the radio early in the morning. I had just driven back to my house after spending the night helping residents of Aase Haugen Assisted Living get comfortable in the churches fellowship hall, (which had became their refuge during their evacuation). The Emergency Management Team had issued an evacuation order for two nursing homes and an area of Decorah which is known as Freeport at midnight. The river was flooding. Nursing home and assisted living residents had been awakened in the middle of the night, dressed, and placed on chartered busses, ambulances, school busses and van to make the trip across town to our church. It was disturbing for them and their staff. Our church members greeted them, held their hands and helped to soothe shaky spirits as the rain continued to fall, and the river continued to rise.

At dawn a mandatory evacuation was issued for the neighborhood where I reside. I had literally just turned into the driveway in hopes of lying down for an hour when I heard the news. And I was confused about the items which I should rescue. I picked a few things (clothes, shoes, bills, legal papers) and snatched the cats. When I walked out the door I did not know what the future held. We were told the dike was crumbling around Luther College, and I had images of my home floating away. At the same time all of those tangible things which fill it faded in their importance to me. The things that are truly important are intangible. What is important is my faith, family, church community, friends, memories and my health cannot wash away. Many along the Upper Iowa River who were also asked to evacuate understand my feeling.

Well, the damage to the dike was limited and so my neighbors and I could return to our home in the evening. All of us had water standing in our basements. Some had upwards of 6 feet, others less than 18 inches. The water in my completely finished basement rose 30 inches. Everything from Christmas decorations to dry wall to laminate flooring had to be carried out and immediately dried (or sent to the curb). I lost a lot of items and cleaning out was a daunting task. But capable church members heard the call. We created a central way for those who needed help to ask for it and those who could help to volunteer their services. I was also helped. It’s very humbling.

The lessons learned from a natural disaster are like pebbles that fall into a still lake. The pebble may drop in one spot, but ripples spread throughout the pond and touch other pond-dwellers. We are all changed by the experience. The way caring community and church members pulled together to face the flooding and its after-math was Godly and good. While a lot of people were helping me, others were helping different family and friends. All over the county people were helping each other. It is impossible to name everyone who sacrificed and helped beyond all expectations. Then again, people didn’t sand bag, muck out, make maid-rites or help their neighbor to gain recognition. People stepped up because it is what Christians are called to do. In other words we responded to the call of Christian duty.

I will never forget the events of June, 2008, but not because of the flood. I will never forget and always marvel at the community of Decorah’s (and First UMC’s) response to it. “Bear one another's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2

Carol Kress
First United Methodist, Decorah, Iowa

No comments: